Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Summer Projects

So, on top of working on my novel and short stories (which will hopefully begin again in May, providing I don't have any lucrative projects dropped into my lap), I'm planning on creating an e-cookbook. I've already saved up over two dozen recipes, and I'm shooting for 100 recipes for this first try.

Along with combining Mediterranean recipes I've come across in my travels, I'm also going to include traditional Turkish and traditional Bulgarian recipes, with the main focus being on heart-healthy foods. There'll be some Mexican dishes in there as well, and background information on the food products being used.

The beauty of doing something like this is it doesn't take me any extra time, other than compiling the information and doing some of the graphic design work...which I may end up shopping out. I cook 4-5 times a week as it is, and we've been compiling our favorite healthy recipes as well as snapping pictures of the cooking process and the "after" shots, to include in the book. Really the only time investment is in the compilation process, because since we are already cooking the food, it's not like we have to do research in advance.

And it's something fun. I don't expect to generate a ton of money from the project, I'm mostly doing it for fun and for additional writing credits to my name. E-publishing is rising dramatically, and with the latest Kindle out, it's only getting more lucrative. I know several people who are making 1500 a month extra simply from informative e-books, and I'd like to hop on the bandwagon and see if we can't generate some additional income as well.

E-publishing still isn't large enough to cannibalize paper publishing, so I'm still not exactly keen on publishing my novel via E-book format. However, recipes are great in e-format because: They don't take up any space on a shelf; you can store thousands of recipes on your computer, vs. the limited space on your countertop/book shelf; it's far more convenient to scroll through your Kindle to a recipe than it is to bring out the 10 lb cook book and flip through to the right tab; it's keeping up with the modern trends and trying to stay on top of the technology as it moves ahead.

Short stories I could care less where or how they get published, simply because it's credits and writing experience that helps me become a better writer. Speaking of which, don't forget that "Medallions of Lashiva" is out in the May issue of Flashing Swords Press!

No comments: