Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pet Peeves

At the top of my list is potential clients who don't bother to check your references or even bother to read your resume and/or your writing samples.

I recently sent a query off to a job which asked for my resume + links to published work. I did so. Within a few days I heard back from the guy and he wanted me to provide him with "additional samples" so he could judge the quality of my work.

........................

I proceeded to write him the following:

If you were a homeowner and wanted to remodel your house, you would send out a query for interested builders. Those builders would show up and give you quotes. Along with the quotes they will give you a run-down of their credentials, which allows you to determine which of them has rates and experience relevant to your particular job. You base your opinion of hiring them upon what credentials they give you.

What you do not do is ask them if they can build your son a tree-fort in the back yard for free over the weekend, so that you get a chance to "judge" the quality of the work up close and personal.

The guy replied to me with this comment: "Well, I've gotten over 30 replies to my e-mail and I just don't have the time to go through every person's resume and check all of their samples and contact their references. It's just easier for me to have you write a sample for me."



First of all...samples were included. The resume includes dozens of links to published materiel on the web and in print. Second of all...you just admitted you didn't even bother to read the resume I sent you, nor did you bother to check the credentials you asked for in the first place.

Way to inspire me to want to work with you.

Seriously. What the hell is up with people who ask you for resume/samples/references, and then don't even bother to check them? Furthermore, I just can't believe the audacity of some of these people when they come up with things like "well, we need you to provide us with some additional samples".

No, you don't. I'm a professional. When I was running a ceramic tile and natural stone company people didn't get free samples. I didn't go in and install an entryway for them for free, just so they could "see my work". They were provided with a list of credentials, which are easily verified through simple phone calls and/or Internet searching, and they were able to base their final decision upon my reputation as an installer, my prices, and the quality of my work. There was no such thing as freebies.

It's the one thing I really can't stand about freelancing. And it's becoming a far more prevalent issue.

People only want free samples for one reason: they want free work so they can use it and claim that "well, your sample didn't make the cut", and then sneak it in somewhere.

If a resume and published articles can't give them an accurate picture of your work, then they aren't worth working for in the first place. Especially if they point-blank tell you that they didn't bother to read the resume they requested from you in the first place...

No comments: