Stumbled across a new one that I'm surprised we had never watched before.
Numb3rs.
There's not a lot I can say about this show other than "amazing".
I love math. I've enjoyed reading about it since I was a small child, and its basis in science fiction has driven me to explore the "theories" of math to some small degree since that point in time. I enjoy talking about dark matter, chaos theory, quantum physics, and beyond.
The only thing is...I suck at math. I don't "get" math. I understand the theories. I can talk about it using "everyday-man" speech. But I don't get math equations. I was close to a straight A student in high school. Except for in math. I struggled to even get a B, and hovered near a C most of the time. Although it depended on the subject. In geometry I was the star public of my class, with well over 100% on my grades due to enjoying it enough that I always did extra credit just because. But algebra? For some odd reason those equations and other things just escaped me.
In any case, the show is produced by Ridley and Tony Scott, and I guess it's been on the air for 5 seasons, with the 6th just starting. We discovered it last week, and are already mid-way into season 2. It's great!
The premise, for those who don't know, is this FBI guy whose brother is a math genius. The brother uses math to help solve FBI cases. They use math for everything. It's just frickin' awesome! And they go into the math theories using analogies that are easy for us math-dummies to grasp and understand. Which makes it even more uber because I can "get it" even though I don't understand the equations or the actual quantifying of the numbers or any of the "math" stuff they are actually doing to come to the conclusions.
Still, it's highly entertaining :) I recommend you try it out if you haven't watched it yet. Very good show, and is now added into our schedule of shows we follow.
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment