Thursday, July 16, 2009

yargh!

On one of the hottest days yet this summer our living room AC decided to kaput again.

It did this last year. We just had the technician out (as I stated in an earlier blog post) a couple months back to figure out what was the issue. He filled it with freon, assured us that he couldn't find a leak, and charged us 80 bucks and said that if it ran out again they would replace the freon for free and look into it further.

Here we are, 2 months later, and the damn thing just ran out of freon again. As I've mentioned in earlier posts...I am a REALLY GRUMPY PERSON when I have to swelter in my house. It is the one non-green feature of my life. I refuse to live in a hot home. I absolutely want a maintained temperature of around 68-70 degrees F, or 20-22 degrees C. The worst part about it is the sun is moving around to the western side of the building as I type this, with the hottest part of the day about to hit (3 to 7 p.m.) as the sun beats down on the side of the building that our bedroom and office are situated on. I am *not* looking forward to spending a sweltering night in bed. I literally can't sleep when I'm hot and cranky.

Now we get to see how quickly they can get out here and fix the issue which they SHOULD HAVE FIXED the last time they were here.

Not looking forward to having no AC. Worst part about it is that it's Thursday afternoon already, and I guarantee you they won't be able to get a guy in here until next week, which means we are likely looking forward to an incredibly hot and incredibly uncomfortable weekend. Thankfully the AC in the kitchen is still working (and has ran continually for 5 years now without running out of freon, so I KNOW there is a leak in the living room one...I just don't know why the technicians can't ever seem to find it despite the fact they've had to come here THREE times now over the course of 18 months to "fix" the issue.), so if I get really hot and cranky I can go hide out in the kitchen for a little while. Sadly, I don't have a laptop, and I'm not moving my whole office rig to the kitchen just to work.

*hides in a corner and whimpers while he melts*

3 comments:

Hicks said...

12V Battery, a Cooler )ie. small Coleman), a bag (or two) of ice, and two 12V computer fans.

Cut holes on top of cooler, screw fans on the holes, facing outwards. Connect to 12V battery. Enjoy your portable AC unit (until power dies or the ice completely melts). Make it last longer by insulating the inside of the plastic cooler.

I'd like to take credit, but I saw it on Instructables. :)

Cindy said...

If you have fans, you can get up early and use them in the window to pull in cool air. Then when it just starts to warm up, shut the windows, blinds, curtains, to block the sun and heat. You can also use the fan to pull the cool air from the kitchen towards your office.

We also had a couple years of summers fighting with our heat pump. It kept breaking and good gawd it got so hot. We did the fan in the window trick and it helped some.

Hope the repairman comes soon!

T. W. Anderson said...

It's all good :) And we do have a couple of fans that we used to use in that fashion...shutting the windows and drawing the blinds when the sun comes around, but keeping them open all night.