Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Busy!

Whew!

Finished up a project yesterday, and haven't had a chance to get the latest revision of "Medallions of Lashiva" back to Flashing Swords Magazine. Hopefully I'll get to that at some point today, but in between making blog posts, answering some business e-mails, and posting on a couple of the forums I frequent, I still haven't finished my coffee, worked out, or started on my article work for the day.

Goals for the week? I have a nice project that will take me most of the week (probably all of the week, depending on how much I slack), and I need to get chapter 12 started. I have the rough outline done for the "Medallions" sequel, and at some point I need to get the rough draft started. Hopefully this weekend. I haven't taken any projects for the latter half of June, because frankly, I'd like to take those two weeks and focus entirely on getting this short story completed, as well as finish up the chapter work necessary to push me past the 100k words/50% completed part of my rough novel draft.

However, there's that curse of liking money, which means if a project gets offered to me, I won't turn it down :) Let's just say that I'm not actively looking for work for the last half of the month, and leave it at that!

Besides, the last 3 months have been swamped for me. It's nice to be successful at what you do, especially when it's something you enjoy. I never dreamed last year when I started this career that I would be where I am at this point. I had a business plan laid out, but there are never any guarantees with a business plan, only aspirations. It's extremely gratifying when your hard work and perseverance pay off.

In terms of consulting...I really need to get that off the ground. I've talked about it with my wife briefly last month when I was swarmed with requests from writers asking for help getting started in the industry, and I just had another round of writers contact me over the weekend. I guess I really should get around to finalizing that aspect of my business, as it's potential money I'm losing out on. Even if I only charge 50 bucks per consultation, it's still an extra few hundred per month, which isn't bad for spending money. I have no desire to rip people off. I have been appalled when I researched consultation fees for freelance writers and saw people charging things like 150-200 dollars for a simple 1 hour phone conversation, or to write an e-mail. What a joke! There's no reason to rip someone off to that degree. It's one thing to make an honest living, it's quite another to knife someone in the gut while you are smiling and patting them on the shoulder.

That's it for this morning. I need to finish my coffee and get writing for the day. Deadlines await!

No comments: