Tuesday, December 29, 2009

One of many...

January 4th will be the official unveiling of the website we will be using for the launch of Marginal Boundaries, a forthcoming speculative fiction ezine.

At present, we are looking towards proceeding as a quarterly publication, 100% digital and 100% paperless. Submission periods will be January, April, July, and November.

Submissions will open up when the website goes live. We are aiming for the first publication to release in March.

Something to keep in mind: this first issue is more or less an experiment to see how profitable we can make the ezine be. Since we have no plans for doing any print format, we can keep the cost of production fairly low. I am not making a profit from this venture; 100% of the funds will remain in the 'zine. This means more money for the writers, more money for the artists, more money for the editors, and more money for the advertisement of the 'zine. Currently I am assembling a team of editors and artists, and while I have several on board, I'll likely be bringing one or two more editors on board in February as we start going through the submissions.

If the first issue goes as planned, we will be moving towards a second issue, and beyond. If things go beyond expectations, we will be doing an annual print format which will focus on the "best of 2010" from our online department. If things really take off, we will look at bumping production to every couple of months, and perhaps doing some POD issues as well.

2009 was a good year. I was blessed enough to have a bit of money to play around with several different investment opportunities. This is the first of several that we (Evy and I) have planned for 2010. My work in the fiction field has been slowly growing, and I'm using this opportunity to push further into the market, albeit in a new direction.

In any case...spread the word! While we aren't officially opening the website until January 4th, 2010, the more people who know about it the more submissions we can get, the more interest we can generate, and the more issues we can sell. The more issues we can sell means the wider our range of opportunities, and expansion into the professional market rather than indy.

No comments: